Re: [LUG] NAS recommendation please

Ah when I said " and create the RAID" I meant use the FreeNAS/ZFS to create the
RAID, not the microserver. Sorry, poor choice of words, I should have been clearer.

Everything else was intuitive, emails, CA and Certificate creation, enabling SSH and
HTTPS, UPS connection and service, it all just went as expected.

I got as far as putting it all together and installing and running the FreeNAS
successfully hours ago, but I'm just stumped at creating the Volumes, Starting the
Shares and being able to use them from the PC.

I have a Volume of 3 x 3TB Disks, and created a share called "backup" which I could
originally see from the PC, but couldn't use. Since then it's gone from bad to worse
and now although I still have the Volumes, that's all I have and I can still see
rubbish from the PC and still not use it.

I'm going GUI-blind and reading and re-reading the Guide but to no avail. Having
created the Volumes I tried creating the Datasets and the zvols but there was no
space left??? Is any formatting of the eventual volume/dataset/zvol required at any
point?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is
for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only, and must not be
re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you are not the named
recipient, please notify me immediately and do not disclose the contents to any
other person or make any copies. Please then delete it and do not disclose its
contents to any other person.
Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus
programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this e-mail
(including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect of any damage
caused by any virus which is not detected.
All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for breaches of
employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.