Re: [LUG] NAS recommendation please

On 11/01/18 14:28, Andrew Kendall wrote:
> Hi All,
> Sorry to bother you with this but I need a NAS. Iâm about to take a very
> large hammer to my Netgear NV+ / V2 because itâs let me down for the
> last time, and thereâs no UG support available.
> Iâve got 3 x 3TB Disks and a PC chassis. Can you recommend a Linux NAS
> solution which will make use of the hardware please?

Easy. If you just want a simple turnkey-style NAS appliance replacement
then FreeNAS:

http://www.freenas.org/

It's actually FreeBSD rather than Linux but you'll only interface with
it through a web based control panel anyway. Also you get ZFS.

Depending on the effort you want to put in you could just make a
lightweight general purpose server out of it - install a Linux of your
choice, configure it for fileserving and you're done. Added bonus: now
you've got a spare underutilised Linux server on and connected to the
network 24/7 that you can use for anything and everything. I would 100%
go this route personally.

Whatever you do make sure you end up with ZFS for those 3 x 3Tb disks
though.

Cheers