Re: [LUG] Merry Christmas All.. automount problem with kernel 4.13 on Mint 18.3

On 29/12/17 14:37, Peter Walker wrote:

On 29/12/17 13:36, Julian Hall wrote:

Yes it is, but you'll be pleased to know that since the last outing with the NFS
shares I have pared down the options so now all I have in the fstab is:

# automount CASSIOPEIA on NAS
192.168.1.3:/volume1/CASSIOPEIA /media/julian/CASSIOPEIA nfs
# automount DIANA on NAS
192.168.1.3:/volume1/DIANA /media/julian/DIANA nfs
# automount PERSEPHONE on NAS
192.168.1.3:/volume1/PERSEPHONE /media/julian/PERSEPHONE nfs

Very little option for any screwups, I would hope.
I'm jumping into this halfway through but won't having this in the fstab cause the
NAS to be mounted at boot rather than automounted on demand?
I have seen lots of race conditions on NFS and the network in various Linuxes of the
past few years. Has needed lots of tweaks to systemd startup to make sure the
network was there before the FS tried to mount.
Proper automount should be far more resilient.

Cheers,

Pete

Mount at boot was the behaviour prior to kernel 4.13 and /is/ the desired behaviour.

Julian