Re: [LUG] Laptop problem

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 18:37:51 +0000
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My wife's laptop is still playing up. Today I had to reset it to get
> it working. It does not exactly lock up, it just does not respond to
> the mouse or the keyboard. When I reset it, it works OK for a while
> and then starts playing up again.
>
> I am wondering if the HD is on the way out. Can anyone tell me what
> signs to look out for please? Or are there some tests I can run? The
> computer is nearly five years old, and it is used a lot. I am
> wondering if, should there be a problem with the HD, it would be more
> sensible to replace the HD, perhaps with a SSD, or to go for it and
> get a new computer.
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> Neil

Have you updated X11 recently?  Are the mouse and keyboard usb?  If
they are, try unplugging them and putting them into a different socket
and force the system to find them afresh.  If they do start working,
then take a look at these two links: it may be that you need to
install xserver-xorg-legacy.
There's a Debian bug report here:
and a discussion thread here
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1512
If you aren't using a display manager to grant root rights to X11, you
may need:
[code]
 #echo "needs_root_rights=yes" >> /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
[/code]
to get it working from the console with '$startx'.

HTH

fraser