ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxx

It is then asking for my password.

Rich

On 2 September 2017 at 19:24, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Trying to ssh in and it keeps rejecting the password. I am using my user password, would this be the correct password for ssh or is it something else please?

Rich

On 2 September 2017 at 17:57, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/09/17 17:40, Richard Brown wrote:
> Ok thanks.
>
> I am definitely plugging HDMI in. The input selection on the monitor
> says HDMI. I don't have a display port cable. I use display port cable
> at work. Maybe I should try that!
>
> This is the motherboard:
> http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B250M-HDV/index.asp

Hmm, fair enough - you don't even have DP on that board so that is a
weird false flag from xrandr. If you disconnect everything display
related, connect up only the HDMI and boot it up you'll presumably be
left looking at a working PC with a completely blank screen but
contactable via SSH.

Can you connect from another machine and then dump out some logs? Attach
them to your reply. We want dmesg and the Xorg logs.

cat /var/log/dmesg /var/log/Xorg.0.log > Desktop/kaby.hdmi.dump

Transfer the resulting text file to something you can email from or just
reboot with the VGA cable attached instead and send it directly from the PC.

Can I just check you don't have another graphics card of any type
connected to it? And you only have one of the HDMI or VGA cables
connected from the PC to the monitor at any one time?

Cheers

>> If you're feeling super-efficient, repeat the same process after a
clean boot on VGA only, and include that too:

cat /var/log/dmesg /var/log/Xorg.0.log > Desktop/kaby.vga.dump

Then I can compare the logs from VGA and HDMI boots and see what's up.

Kind Regards

Richard Brown

--
Kind Regards