Re: [LUG] HDMI

On 01/09/17 07:11, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> Linux rich-desktop 4.10.0-33-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 11 10:55:28
> UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Can we just clarify a sec exactly what you mean by "monitor not working
on HDMI"? Do you mean it's completely non-responding, or does the
BIOS/EFI display during boot, text mode boot messages show up and only X
doesn't work? Does the system boot at all when the monitor is on HDMI?
Presumably it's just sat there waiting for input (this is what you need
SSHD running for to find out) but is actually operational. Can you
access the other VTTYs by hitting CTRL+ALT+Fx? With the HDMI connected
monitor non-responsive, after booting the machine try hitting
CTRL+ALT+F4 a couple of times - it *should* drop you to a text mode
login prompt (but probably won't thanks to the way Ubuntu/systemd have
messed with stuff over the years).

I'm loathe to give you more advice without knowing a bit (actually,
quite a lot) about what's going on here.

That being said, it certainly won't hurt also installing a slightly
newer patched Mesa and friends. A 4.12 kernel would also be a good idea
but thanks to Ubuntu being Ubuntu they as usual haven't bothered
releasing a trivially installable mainline version yet.

Kabylake and newer silicon is still a bit sketchy in terms of support
I'm afraid (in all OS's, including Windows), although you really
shouldn't be having this many issues just getting a basic HDMI display
up and running out of the box.

Install newer driver stack:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo reboot

Cheers