Re: [LUG] Changing User ID.

On 05/05/17 15:42, Julian Hall wrote:

> Update on the permissions/NFS issues. The permissions /seem/ to be
> fixed, inasmuch as I did a search on the NAS for *.doc and *.xls files
> and opened a file from each folder and they all opened normally. I tend
> to save in those formats as I never know when I will need to share with
> a WIndows user.
>
> The NFS issue on the other hand is misbehaving more. In the last two
> days the box has decided not to boot if the NAS is not powered up,
> despite it supposedly only mounting on first access. If the NAS isn't
> powered the box hangs, either before the desktop background picture come
> up but with mouse, or on one occasion even before that with just the
> mouse. Any reboot attempt says nemo is not responding.
>
> First port of call I suppose is to comment the NAS out of fstab and see
> if it boots faster? Undoubtedly it will as it only has to look for /home
> then.

Righty, let's get this finished up then. As usual some issues are
getting conflated again and I'm not sure I follow you when you say the
"permissions seem to be fixed", especially on the NAS. I've got no idea
what you've done in the meanwhile of course but last time we had only
fixed up some local test copies of a bunch of files as a proof of
concept without touching any files on the NAS or even looking at the NFS
mess yet. So if files on the NAS are behaving differently now from when
they were it's a coincidence unless you've made some changes as well!

Your current NFS issues are going to be the cause of the file permission
symptoms you've been having for sure. When permissions are wrong in *nix
land things tend to go very wrong because they are a pretty fundamental
basis of the entire system.

You are going to have to fix the major NFS issue first though obviously
if it's at the point where your system no longer reliably boots - you
are right about this, and need to comment out the fstab line to mount
the NFS share asap. Your system is indeed attempting to mount the NFS
share during boot every time and systemd is timing out waiting for the
filesystem (it doesn't handle this very well for some reason).

You also didn't say what make/model your actual NAS unit is and if
you've got shell access to it. Do you have to admin it through a point
and click web interface thing?

First comment out the fstab line, reboot to make sure it's cleared that
problem and get back.

Cheers