Re: [LUG] Changing User ID.

On 03/05/17 19:29, mr meowski wrote:
On 03/05/17 20:16, Eion MacDonald wrote:

It is good when panic is over. Return to life.
My life *is* fixing computer panics... and for some reason I'm such a
sucker for punishment that in between fixing stuff professionally I hop
on to the DCGLUG and do it some more for "fun"!

Many people have called me an idiot before, and I suspect that at least
some of them may be right :|

Hmm.
I know the feeling.. I did almost seven years of ISP Tech Support.

Update on the permissions/NFS issues. The permissions /seem/ to be fixed, inasmuch as I did a search on the NAS for *.doc and *.xls files and opened a file from each folder and they all opened normally. I tend to save in those formats as I never know when I will need to share with a WIndows user.

The NFS issue on the other hand is misbehaving more. In the last two days the box has decided not to boot if the NAS is not powered up, despite it supposedly only mounting on first access. If the NAS isn't powered the box hangs, either before the desktop background picture come up but with mouse, or on one occasion even before that with just the mouse. Any reboot attempt says nemo is not responding.

First port of call I suppose is to comment the NAS out of fstab and see if it boots faster? Undoubtedly it will as it only has to look for /home then.

Cheers,

Julian