Re: [LUG] CMOS or else

On 17/04/17 15:36, mr meowski wrote:
OK. I have managed to press the CMOS button as explained. Now when I
power on I get nothing at all. Just a black screen. Oops.

Neil

Haha, I should have known that there'd be a complication... First of
all, don't worry - you're still online with a different PC and your main
computer hasn't died... it's just being a [words deleted].

You still get the expected response when you power back up right? Lights
come on on/inside the tower, you can hear some noises at least and the
fans spin up? Does it then just sit there and hum quietly, or does it
switch itself off after a few seconds?

Again - don't worry, this isn't fatal or anything. My guess is that the
now defaulted UEFI has probably assumed something which isn't the case:
most likely, it's trying to initialize your monitor from the built-in
graphics port on the back of your PC rather than your additional PCI-e
graphics card.

The PC has wired network right?
Yes.

 And I believe you've got a SSD boot
drive (which will be completely silent)

yes

 and a spinning HDD in there?

No, just one hard drive, the SSD.

 So,
what happens if you reboot the PC and watch it for 60 seconds or so: are
the TX/RX lights flashing on the RJ45 network port on the back and if
you listen to the case itself, can you hear the HDD spinning and
chugging along as per normal? 'Cos it might actually be booting up as
normal but not initializing the screen.

Anyway - don't panic. MJE is to hand and I was serious - I *will* come
to your house and jump up and down on the damn thing myself to get it
working if it comes to it.

God damn it, computers drive me absolutely mad sometimes.

Report back!

My emails don't seem to be getting through.

Neil