Re: [LUG] Fwd: Re: CMOS or else

On 17/04/17 15:55, Neil wrote:

>> The PC has wired network right?
> Yes.
>
>  And I believe you've got a SSD boot
>> drive (which will be completely silent)
>
> yes
>
>  and a spinning HDD in there?
>
> No, just one hard drive, the SSD.
>
> My emails don't seem to be getting through.
>
> Neil

Hi - they are getting through to me, just not particularly quickly. Not
only have I been noticing that my emails to the list are sometimes
taking a long time to go through recently (change on the list software
perhaps?) but I am also using a Microsoft live.com account of course
which at first seemed amusing and mildly intentionally provocative for a
Linux group but now the joke might be on me I guess.... Compared to my
various other accounts with providers such as Google my live.com address
is... well, crap, to be honest. C'est la vie.

Sooo, anyway. That means listening to your PC won't help (normally we
listen for the telltale signs of of the noisy platters spinning up and
chugging away). Never mind that then. Do you know what I mean by the
TX/RX lights on the network port? Right where you plug in the ethernet
round the back there will be tiny green and orange lights embedded right
by the socket itself: look for them flashing on and off whilst you boot
it up and shortly afterwards. If they stay on and keep flashing
regularly, that definitely means something is happening inside the box.

From before, did you end up enabling SSH on this machine? I'm sure you
did at some point following on from some other issue ages ago. You can
quite possibly ping or even SSH to the PC if it's coming up and booting
as per normal, just with a blank screen. That's relatively common by the
way - if your defaulted UEFI has gone back to 'strict' settings and not
enabled CSM compatibility, it may refuse to talk to your monitor without
a tweak or two. And yes, that is pretty stupid, but I've seen it on my
main workstation actually. There is also a fallback UEFI display mode
where it likes to output in 1024x768 instead of full HD unless a setting
is toggled - which some modern LCD monitors of course don't like (my
stupid motherboard did that as well many buggy UEFIs ago).

Whilst I'm overwhelming you with questions, do you know off the top of
your head if you have an extra graphics card in that PC? You'll have a
on-CPU basic Intel gfx unit that outputs via the connectors on your
motherboard and presumably an add-on proper graphics card from Nvidia or
AMD that fits into a PCIe slot. That's what your monitor is plugged into
right now I guess. The defaulted UEFI is probably trying to output to
the onboard graphics at the moment, hence the blank screen.

Feel free to take a pic of the business end of your PC if you haven't
already and include it next email (or send it to me offlist) to make
things clearer. Next job would probably be to unplug your monitor and
try it on the onboard connectors.

Again, fear not! We do have opposable thumbs unlike our computer
overlords, which means we're pretty much destined to win 1 on 1 fights
with them everytime, at least until Skynet comes online. It might be
trying to wind you up right now, but we will triumph over it.

Cheers