Re: [LUG] Cheap tablet

On 25 Feb 2017 16:33, "Gordon Henderson via list" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, Neil via list wrote:

If anyone on the list can come up with some ideas/suggestions I would be grateful.

I used to have a cheap tablet. Won't be buying one again. Actually unlikely to buy any sort of tablet, however...

On a recent trip to India, I took my phone - a (Google) Nexus 6 "Phablet" size phone. I got that after being frustrated with my cheap tablet. I already had a Nexus 5, so thought about a new bigger/faster tablet or the "phablet" platform. I went for the latter. I have not missed the tablet one little bit.

I also took my old Acer Aspire One netbook which was handy for doing some coding on, but the phone was just as good for email and web stuff.

I use my phone every day - it's value for money. I didn't use the tablet very much - I suspect that had I bought one I might have tried to make use of it, but at the end of the day it would gather more dust than not.

I doubt I'll ever get another tablet, but if I do, it will be a Google one. Fed-up with vendors putting their own rubbish/themes/apps. on-top of a perfectly good OS.

Gordon

And I went the other way. I shrunk my phone to the smallest and lowest spec I would be comfortable using if I absolutely had to, but in the main my phone is used for the occasional phonecall and for providing an Internet connection for my tablet. I use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S8.4 far more than any other bit of kit I own. It's small enough that I can actually get it snuggly into my jeans pocket, of the inside pocket of my coat, and large enough that I'm not constantly having to retype things because of fat fingers. It has a lovely, crisp 2560x1600 AMOLED display, so things look nice and sharp, and the blacks are really black (not dark grey as on most LED displays), and the battery lasts pretty well.

It does come with Samsung's own Android, but you can disable almost all of the Samsung specific apps and replace them with your preferred alternatives. If you really wanted to, you can put Cyanogen Mod or LineageOS on there with relative ease.

It's a great "medium" sized tablet, and they're not that expensive in the 2nd hand market.

Grant. :)