Re: [LUG] Tech Jam was Re: Plymouth LUG meeting tomorrow

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi  Started a new thread here.

On 25/02/17 08:27, Gordon Henderson via list wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, M. J. Everitt via list wrote:

Yup, aiming to be there to do some Arduino-related stuff .. gonna bring
a couple of my boards along, see what Gordon and I can come up with to
do ...

Er - confused now. I won't be going to the Plymouth meet today. No
plans to go at all, just the Paignton one.

I will add more Arduino activities to the website next jam page then,
If I set up tables so there is room to sit round.l and still chat while
at the same time plenty of room for plugging things in,  I may set up 1
monitor as this is useful if more than 1 person is looking at a screen.

My plan is to run it as a demonstration of an alternative, some might say traditional, way to write programs for ATmega (Arduino) type systems. This is using traditional tools like a text editor, Makefile and compiler rather than the Arduino IDE environment.

However while it's possible to do all this and use the Arduino libraries, I have a complete separate system, developed from scratch which is all written in C. So my own serial code, I2C code, etc. as well as a small real(ish) time task scheduler and coroutine handler. I am not one of the people who thinks that C++ is acceptable for embedded systems... At least not small ones. (Some fighter jets have their control systems written in C++, come back Ada, all is forgiven)

If anyone wants to bring along their own ATmega/Arduino system and try my code then they're welcome - I guess it will involve using USBnet to copy files over... Their development PC will need the usual avr-gcc development stuff (and the easiest way to get all that installed is to install Arduino!)

Gordon