Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 13/02/2017 13:58, Neil via list wrote:
> On 13/02/17 13:46, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
>

>> It depends really on the interest level of the individual. I would say
>> that a "good" setup for someone looking to migrate to Linux would be one
>> where initially their other operating system is still available, but not
>> immediately so. A quick change to the GRUB menu so it goes straight into
>> Linux rather then presenting a menu. They would still be able to boot
>> into their other operating system by rebooting and holding the Shift key
>> so the GRUB menu is presented, but don't necessarily tell them that
>> off-the-bat. My reasoning is that if people can see that they have an
>> easy escape route when something becomes slightly taxing, then they'll
>> take it again and again. Completely obliterating their existing
>> operating system is an option, but simply making the escape route less
>> easy can help.
>
> My idea for an escape route is to keep Linux on a separate machine.
>

>> I would personally recommend giving someone a distro that is well
>> supported by the community and that you are familiar with. Ubuntu tends
>> to be my distro of choice for this, despite being a Debian user myself.
>> One of the key things the user should understand is that there is a
>> /choice/. If they find that they like to dig around and change things up
>> a bit, then they are more than welcome to do so... but for the sake of
>> getting them up to speed with using the system, I prefer Ubuntu.
>
> And Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu. I could not help much with the gnome
> desktop as I have never used it.
>>

>> When you buy a new computer, you normally do not get the opportunity to
>> experience the installation part of the process. However many of the
>> initial MCSE training courses, and I believe the RHCE training courses
>> also frequently start with "installing the system". These days it is
>> remarkably easy to do and is very well documents, so there shouldn't
>> really be too much standing in the way of doing this.
>
> Have to decide depending on the trainee.
>

>>     Most Windows users know little or nothing about using a terminal
>>     screen, yet it is so useful and powerful. So what would be the best
>>     way to get that across?
>>

>> Do they /need/ to use it initially? Too much "wow, isn't this stuff
>> powerful" can be a massive turn-off for many. Teach them that the
>> environment is different but familiar. When they are ready to progress
>> to "the next level" then command line love can be shown.
>
> Thanks for that advice. No they don't need to use it at first, but I
> would introduce it fairly early on.
>

>>     I think this would be one of the stumbling blocks to the whole
>>     scheme. Yet I feel that it is a very important part of the training.
>>

>> That depends on what the training is for. If the training is set out to
>> get someone up to speed with managing Linux systems remotely from the
>> command line, then absolutely. If the training is set out to get desktop
>> users up and running and working in a comfortable environment, then
> [...]

I first LEAVE them on Windows but introduce a Live Puppy Linux CD with
their set up stored inside the Windows files. (on restarting to Puppy it
picks up the set up and thus is workable on their ISP , email etc).

second teach them to select Windows of Puppy by booting from hard disc
or CD.

Get them used to browsing  and other normal things in Puppy, it removes
the fear and gets them started also with documents /spreadsheets etc.

THEN i introduce them to a full distro as a Live CD but always with XFCE
windows manager and computer is usually elderly>
My selection is OpenSUSE (due to easy to get then to use YaST)
or Linux Mint  as starters.

One they are happy with a Live Linux  then I either dual boot to windows
/Linux as a fall back option (usually some are nervous to remove Windows)
OR best option provided all old files saved to an external back up a
single boot Linux and reload old files into their home folder.
This is the difficult part if their photo altering needs Photoshop, as
GIMP is an uphill learning curve.
(It is also a reason for dual booting)

Only two sets or program use are difficult to users (accounts programs
with VAT, home accounts no problem) and photos is they have years of use
of Photoshop.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald