Re: [LUG] Upgrades

> On 7 Feb 2017, at 15:09, Simon Waters via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Stop installing software from random places, that is why Windows and Apple are a
> mess.
>
> Just stick to the distro repos, set it to auto-update, be happy.

thats just the most dumb ass suggestion i've ever heard!   whats the point of an
open platform if you constrain yourself to a limited set of installable packages.

You might as well admit that installing software on linux was simply better when we
did ./configure; make; make install;  after having downloaded a zip from a newsgroup
by bilbo baggins

Windows and apples a mess .. sorry but installing apps on both platforms is charm
compared with linux.

flat pack feels like a common sense approach for user space apps.  repos are prefect
for core libs and frameworks , drivers etc .... but its clear that while distro
packaged apps are easier , they dont actually work for the majority of app
distributers.  so it better to have a 2 pronged solution.

packages where apps are very distro specific, and flatpack for apps that need
specifics.