Re: [LUG] Adverts

On 18/01/17 08:59, Lists via list wrote:
> I hate adverts. Let me be more accurate, I hate having adverts thrown at
> me when I am concentrating on something else. On TV for instance when
> the ads appear I turn off the sound. I do understand that ads can be
> useful when I am looking for something in particular. It is just having
> them thrust at a time when I am not in that 'search mode' that annoys me
> so much.
>
> I have a laptop computer as a spare, my main one being a desk top. I
> have seen a few comments recently about Linux Lite as a distro worth a
> look. So I thought that I would give it a once over.
>
> However, when I opened its main web site I was greeted with the
> information that I am running an ad blocker. Correct. If I want to look
> at the site I must disable it. No chance. They claim that they are
> "currently losing 42% of our income due to Ad Blockers". That seems a
> very accurate percentage. How can they be so sure?
>
> I also found via another site that to install Lite I need to have legacy
> mode switched on in UEFI. Again, no chance. So goodbye Linux Lite.
>
> I have come across this request to turn off any ad blockers before, but
> never on the main web site of a Linux distro. What a pain.

I won't comment on the adverts thing except to say that predictably, I
hate them with a vengeance and block them unilaterally, but a couple of
other things intrigued me, so:

Google Analytics is a powerful thing. Getting hard stats on pretty much
aspect of your web-facing presence is trivial these days. More
importantly, do you believe their claim, or even care? If so, why?

Disabling UEFI I would never have imagined being a blocking issue for
you... making linux install/play nice with full UEFI/secure boot support
is still borderline rocket science at this point. I would have presumed
you'd be in exactly the opposite camp - demanding a system that UEFI
could definitely be switched into legacy mode (effectively emulating the
old school BIOS mode and allowing USB boot, MBR disks and easy linux
installs). Am I missing something or do you have this entirely the wrong
way around?

Cheers