Re: [LUG] OT VDSL cable length

On 05/01/17 16:26, Gordon Henderson via list wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2017, Simon Waters via list wrote:
>
>> Time to stick the router on the wall.
>>
>> Anyone got any figures for RJ11 cable length impact on VDSL?
>>
>> I see contradictory things, but my understanding is it is basically
>> adding
>> to phone cable length, and I have SNR to burn for my VDSL.
>>
>> That said I'm lazy, and will probably use the cable it came with but
>> might
>> be good from a signal perspective to get it high above other things.
>
> My experience is that the metre or so of wire from the wall socket to
> the modem is nothing compared to the kilometer or 3 from the cabinet.
> What matters here is the joints. So just make sure the modem is close
> to the wall socket and run Ethernet from there. If you have the
> ability, then ake the cable shorter but it's not going to make any
> appreciable difference.
>
> I'm currently in outer ruralistan, getting sub 56K modem speeds, but
> hey, it's internet...
>
> Gordon

I'd go with Gordon, and keep the modem reasonably near to the phone
socket or filter, or BT wiring. In an old property, the BT cable ran
through the loft space, and I was going to re-terminate in the loft, and
install a router there, with obvious benefits in WiFi signal
(theoretically!). However, since even the BT modems come with an
ethernet port between modem/router, I'd put the cable length in there,
since I've not heard of any problems with ~50m ethernet. Of course if
you're wiring up an industrial unit, there's the option of fibre
becoming more cost-effective, but I doubt you're really that desperate
on standard UK VDSL ;).

MJE