Re: [LUG] External hard drive

On 21/10/16 14:04, Jason Witcher wrote:
I have an HP mini server, and tried something similar to what you're
suggesting - install Debian on a USB stick (the server has an internal
USB port) to free up the hard drives. However, it was unbearably slow,
so I ended up 'sacrificing' one of the slots for a boot drive, now it's
much faster. A quick bit of googling reveals that USB 3 is comparable in
speed to SATA, so a USB 3 drive (and of course socket if you have one)
might work.
Jason

Yes, all the USB drives on my desk top are USB3. I had not thought about the speed problem.

Neil