Re: [LUG] External hard drive

I have an HP mini server, and tried something similar to what you're suggesting - install Debian on a USB stick (the server has an internal USB port) to free up the hard drives. However, it was unbearably slow, so I ended up 'sacrificing' one of the slots for a boot drive, now it's much faster. A quick bit of googling reveals that USB 3 is comparable in speed to SATA, so a USB 3 drive (and of course socket if you have one) might work.
Jason