Re: [LUG] External hard drive

On 21/10/16 16:43, Simon Waters wrote:
Some older computers don't boot from USB drives, but I've not seen one recently that
won't.

My desktop computer is very new, and my laptop is quite new. They both boot happily from a USB drive.

I don't quite follow why you upgrade that way, are they not connected to the
Internet? Also not sure why you prefer to use the external drive, it might make
sense if the external drive is solid state and thus faster than the internal disk.
Or you have to share the machine with another OS.

Yes, of course they are connected to the internet. In this case, I am not thinking about upgrading. I am thinking about having a Linux OS installed on the external drive, which I could attach to any modern computer and then log in to the OS installed on that drive. Just to see if I can and if it would work.

Neil