Re: [LUG] off topic :but what Linux distro could read and write to a mac computer's external back up?

On 12/09/16 17:29, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> Dear folks,
> 20160912
> To Mr Meow ski and all others. Thanks. I learned a lot from reading this
> about macs.
>
> To calm Mr Meow ski, I have always recommended encrypted hard discs.
> Thanks for identifying the mac encryption systems.

You're welcome - I was mildly exasperated rather than angry, which makes
me even more verbose than usual. Apologies again to all for the walls of
text (which I'm sure almost nobody read anyway, so no harm there).

> NHS. In this area, the card log ons are 'transferred from staff to
> staff' due to one hour/two hour locums etc. with no permanent access
> card log ons so they borrow the resident staff ones! (Tend to be left in
> active machines on ward.) DPA may make rules etc. but obedience is the
> problem.

So true - medical staff aren't IT or security experts of course, so it
can be hard to make them toe the line. On the other hand, I can't
perform surgery so I guess we need each other.

> Again, thank for introducing me to Hackintosh machines.

There are actually surprisingly "un-hacky" and straight forward to setup
and use actually and as Apple hardware is increasingly anaemic, can
offer considerably more bang for buck than the official offerings.

Cheers