Re: [LUG] off topic :but what Linux distro could read and write to a mac computer's external back up?

>> None.
>>
>> Why make life complicated...
>>
>> Insure Mac Book Air.
>>
>> When it get stolen/destroyed, etc. claim on insurance, buy a new
>> one, restore from backup and off you go.
>>

> 1+ this and use drop box pro. tried trusted . (1stilen from a train,
> 1 sat on with phone between glass and keyboard) each time: walk to
> store collect new laptop, open login with icloud account (email done)
> log in to dropbox (files done) re-install apps from store & office365
> .. good to go.
>
> timemachine backups are overrated. but still useful for every day
> file rollbacks.

There are so many things wrong with both of these answers I don't even
know where to begin - I got halfway through writing a very over-long
point by point rebuttal before realising how combative it sounded and
deleted the lot. To summarise:

1: You didn't read the question properly
2: You answered with the typical flippant IT Pro "oh just do this, that,
that, that and then this, it's soooo easy LOL!" spool
3: Obviously neither of you have worked medical IT
4: You did read the part about her being poor right?
5: Insure it? Oh really? Thanks genius :/
6: "timemachine backups are overrated" - No offence Joseph, but that is
the most stupid thing I have read all day. Seriously, what?
7: Macs have automatically versioned local files since Lion 10.7

I spent many years in medical IT and a large part of the role was
specifically supporting hundreds of poor, young and very clever junior
doctors who nonetheless weren't really much cop with computers (they
have more important things to occupy their overstressed brains with).
They nearly all used Macs. You do realise that as a med student she'll
have private medical data on her laptop and what the ramifications of
uploading that to iCloud/Dropbox/random service are right? Hint: not
good for her career. Or the Trust she works for. Or the patients who's
data is now being XKEYSCORED after being offshored in flagrant violation
of the DPA. Unlike both of you, she and/or Eion will know this and
FileVault will be enabled on the Mac and the TimeMachine backup (right
Eion?).

Well, damn, even the short version of my reply has still not exactly
come across nicely so just to clarify, I'm not attacking or even
particularly criticising either of you - I respect you both as obviously
really smart, Linux wielding fellow computer ninjas. Normally you both
post excellent and informative stuff but in this particular case I rank
both of your answers as "-1: uninformative/irrelevant/offtopic/plain
damn wrong". Stick to what you know guys.

Eion asked a clear and simple straight-forward question (Linux and HFS+)
and you both wandered off on either flippant or irrelevant tangents,
some of which was catastrophically bad advice.

Yours,

A Medical Sysadmin (thankfully not any more though)

* seriously, both of you guys are great. I'm *really* not trying to pick
a fight here. Feel free to absolutely school me on something like
programming where I am a complete and hopeless moron compared to you!