Re: [LUG] A noob tyep question - Linux not booting

On 12/09/16 17:58, Trevor Exwick wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen of Linux Land,
>
> I have a a laptop, brand new very nice HP Elitebook, it has 2 hard
> disks, one Hybrid 500Gb and one M.2
>
> I set the BIOS to legacy enabled, secureboot disabled. got rid of the
> UEFI boot order.
>
> Then booted up with a UBUNTU 16.04 USB stick and wiped both drives.
>
> Then clicked "install". Set it on drive 1 (the hybrid one as the M.2
> will not be able to boot in legacy mode)
>
> All seemed well BUT
>
> at boot up the grub screen appears, then it seems to take a long time
> and I get the black "busybox" screen and crash out the the ASH shell.
>
> Using GRUB for the advanced settings and safe mode I still get the same
> thing.
>
> I have also tried UBUNTU 14 (skinned as Bio-Linux)
>

> AS an alternative I reset the BIOS and
>
> I tried switching back on UEFI and reformatting, but still got errors -
> either the installer could not write GRUB correctly, or I got the same
> as above.
>
> Truth is I feel more comfortable with BIOS, but do need to embrace UEFI
> really.
>

> I suspect -
>
> BIOS - maybe I need to clear something or set something differently
>
> The Hybrid drive is not happy or Linux is not happy with it.
>

> Any ideas or pointers - thanks

Which model Elitebook is it? They have some quirks and aren't as well
supported as the Dell Precisions but nonetheless you shouldn't be having
that much of a problem with them.

Can you boot to live mode in either BIOS or UEFI via the 16.04 USB drive?

Try holding left shift during boot to access the Grub2 menu, edit the
kernel stanza to remove "quiet" and Ctrl+X to boot - you'll at least get
to see the error messages on screen to tell you what went wrong.

Cheers