[LUG] off topic :but what Linux distro could read and write to a mac computer's external back up?

Dear folks,
20160910
off topic but what Linux distro could read and write to a  mac
computer's external back up?
Impoverished new student (medical) has present of a Mac-Book Air from
her father.

I would like her to have a 'secondary computer' at her lodgings
just to read her backup USB  external hard disc in case her Mac-book air
is stolen(External hard disc back up USB or such, I have recommended she
have, as I have had some students with no back ups and thus trouble, but
on Windows computers, where i have recovered their non booting machines.)

I have no experience of Mac computers but do have an old machine Core-2
Pro CPU running Linux (Linux Mint 17) and I could change the distro and
give to her.

What distro should I load for her?

--
regards