Re: [LUG] Sharing our printer

On 08/09/16 20:21, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 08/09/16 18:46, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 08/09/16 14:01, M. J. Everitt wrote:
<snip>
If sharing to Windows, there are a few gotchas, but the SAMBA docs help
you out with this.

Good luck!

Perhaps I should have mentioned that both computers are running
Xubuntu. No form of Windows is allowed in this house.

Thanks

Neil

Then it should be a complete walk-in-the-park .. :) Go to
http://localhost:631 in a web browser to get the cups page up on your
'server', Printers tab or I believe *buntu has its own Printers app, and
select "Share this printer". Then you can search for printer on the
'client' computer, and it -should- find it. The advantage of the CUPS
route, is you have printer/page logs should anything (God forbid) go
wrong so you have some chance of fixing it :]

PS. you should see a CUPs page by browsing to <server ip>:631 (unless
CUPs is restricting it, which it sometimes does) from the client PC

PPS. Sometimes CUPS gets itself in a knot, so you might need to restart
it with 'sudo  <something>' (not electing a direct answer because I
still use OpenRC as my init system :D) On either/both ends :)

Thanks, I will have a look at that. I suppose that this way I can keep my printer linked to my computer via a USB cable, while the laptop downstairs will be using its wifi link to my computer upstairs.

Neil