Re: [LUG] More Scam Phone Calls

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 09:05:42AM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> The new practise, apparently, from a freelance mailing list I'm on, is
> to instruct you to install screen mirroring/remote desktop software
> giving them control of your machine - that way they can install their
> own malware and even charge you for it. Really nasty.

They've been using various remote access tools for years, most notably
Logmein and Ammyy. One of these started to include warnings about these
scams, so they made you install a foreign-language version of the
product so you wouldn't notice it. They made me download the Dutch
version once, which was cute; I am Dutch.

Of course, with them having remote access to your PC, they can do
anything, including install malware, so if you want to play with
them, always use a dedicated VM. But I have seen very little evidence of
them actually installing malware, or doing other nasty stuff. (There is
also very little incentive to do it.)

Martijn.