Re: [LUG] More Scam Phone Calls

On 16 July 2016 at 20:00, Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are all sorts of tricks to convince people they have a "virus
> problem", all bogus but all credible if you don't know what's going on.
>
> One common trick is to make you open the eventviewer (eventvwr) which
> is some kind of logging feature. A typical conversation would go like
>
> "Do you see any errors, sir?"
> "Yes, I do."
> "Can you count them for me?"
> "Oh, there are many of them!"
> "Like ten? Or a hundred?"
> "Definitely several hundreds."
> "Oh dear, that is really bad."
> etc.
>
> (Errors in the eventviewer are often harmless.)
>
> Actually, I did continue after they started asking for money and at
> least twice I convinced them I paid (once by giving them a fake credit
> card number that happened to be valid and once by convincing them I
> would pay later). What happened was that they ran a few free
> security/performance tools and that's it.
>
> Note: don't try this at home unless you know what you're doing and have
> a virtual machine set up for the purpose. There have been reports of
> support scammers who started deleting files of people who didn't want to
> pay.

The new practise, apparently, from a freelance mailing list I'm on, is
to instruct you to install screen mirroring/remote desktop software
giving them control of your machine - that way they can install their
own malware and even charge you for it. Really nasty.

..also I can confirm that they get really angry and pretty obscene in
their insults if you start laughing at their poor grasp of computer
networking. I got quite an earful after stringing him along for a few
minutes.

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons