Re: [LUG] More Scam Phone Calls

Needs a robot, no? Press 1 if you are calling about a problem on the computer.
Then procedurally -generated incompetence until they ring off.Â
But not a person job.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 at 11:38 <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/08/16 09:05, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> The new practise, apparently, from a freelance mailing list I'm on, is
> to instruct you to install screen mirroring/remote desktop software
> giving them control of your machine - that way they can install their
> own malware and even charge you for it. Really nasty.
>
> ..also I can confirm that they get really angry and pretty obscene in
> their insults if you start laughing at their poor grasp of computer
> networking. I got quite an earful after stringing him along for a few
> minutes.
>
> A.

As the OP I must report that I have had no more calls. This is a bit
annoying as I have now decided to try another tactic. Since I really
don't have either the time or the inclination to string them along,
(since it wastes my time as well), I have come up with a quick way of
dealing with it all.

My plan is to say something like this.

Wow, you have taken the trouble to let me know that I have a problem.
That is so kind, I wish everyone could be so helpful.Anyway, now that I
know I will look into it and sort it out. So thanks again, and bye.

And end the call.

It will be interesting to see if they call back.

Neil