Re: [LUG] Restore filesystem from Rsync backup

On 25/07/16 15:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, Julian Hall wrote:

I still have the second query about restoring the filesystem from the rsync backup.

Need more information here - what error message do you get, what command are you using to restore, what command did you use to make the backup. Can you simply 'ls' the mounted USB drive, etc.

Gordon

That's what I am asking.. how to do it. I've tried following forums, formatting the partition and simply copying the files in a Live session from the backup , reinstalling and copying over the fresh install, and various combinations of same. I can read/write the mounted drive perfectly - what I cannot do is copy the files off the drive onto the target partition such that it actually boots/works as per the installation that was backed up. What I need are simple instructions on how to do that. At the moment having the backup is pointless as I cannot use it to recover the system as it was before the failed update.

The commend I am using for the backup is rsync -aAXv /* /media/julian/ARTEMIS/MINT --exclude={/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/media/*,/lost+found,/home/*}

Julian