Re: [LUG] Restore filesystem from Rsync backup

On 25/07/16 14:14, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, Julian Hall wrote:

Hi All,

Two questions please. The first is hopefully easy. I've had to reinstall Mint 17.3 due to a failed update to Mint 18 (that's question 2). However I cannot get it to mount the Synology NAS, despite using exactly the same command as previously used (I had the fstab saved in a text file). When I tried sudo mount -a the two other internal drives mounted but the NAS gave this error:
Hi Gordon,

You can't restore because you can't mount.
I should have been more explicit, the backup is /not/ on the NAS, it's on a external USB drive which mounts without any issues. They are two separate problems.
You can't mount because:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.3:/volume1/Hera,
      (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
      need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
      dmesg | tail  or so

So - you need to work out why the NFS mount is failing. This could be many reasons - the NAS is turned off, changed IP address or broken. Can you verify it by mounting it on another Linux device?
It's sat on a shelf about two feet away, is powered up and nothing changed in the configuration. It mounts manually on the same box if I go to Network, double-click it and enter the NAS password.
Another reasons - does your newly re-installed Mint have NFS installed by default? Did you need to add it last time?

Try:

  grep nfs /proc/filesystems
julian@CERCE ~ $ grep nfs /proc/filesystems
nodev    nfs
nodev    nfs4

Looks to have been installed by default.

Kind regards,

Julian