Re: [LUG] Scam Phone Calls

On 29/06/16 12:48, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 29/06/16 12:32, Paul Sutton wrote:

On 29/06/16 12:26, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I know several people, including my daughter, who have had one or more
of these scam telephone calls about some problem with their internet
connection. Up to now I have never had one, so I have been feeling
somewhat neglected.

Today I had my first one, and I blew it. I was feeling a bit more grumpy
than usual so I just got cross, said 'don't talk such rubbish' and hung
up. What a missed opportunity.

Anyway, just to let people know that they are still out there. My
daughter, of course, uses Linux. When she said that she didn't use
Windows the caller got all confused. Apparently he said 'but everyone
uses Windows'. Sad.

Neil

The response to everyone using windows, is to say of course they do
having great big holes in the wall causes damp and draughts

Paul

LOL. Which reminds me of the question "Why is Linux like an American Indian teepee?" Answer, no gates and no windows. Sorry.

Next time I get one of these calls I plan to say that I don't use Windows or Apple. When they ask what I do use I will say "have you ever heard of Solaris?" That will really confuse them.

Neil

If I'm feeling evil I just pretend to do what they ask - it takes ages to boot the machine etc etc. If anyone knows of a crib sheet to use to keep them busy that would come in handy - remember you can just leave them holding for a while while you pretend to do what they ask on your imaginary windows machine while browsing other stuff to keep you amused - its your social duty to do so!
Tom te tom te tom