Re: [LUG] Xubuntu 16.04

On 28/05/16 13:38, Philip Whateley wrote:
> As far as I remember, the xx.xx.0 LTS releases are intended for fresh
> installs, of for upgrading from the immediately preceding ordinary
> release. Canonical hold back on the LTS to LTS upgrade displaying in the
> updater until the xx.xx.1 version.
>
> So in this case 16.04.0 LTS is designed for upgrade from 15.10 or a
> fresh install, but is not deemed suitable (i.e. try it at your own risk)
> for upgrade directly from 14.04, as you have not gone through 14.10,
> 15.04, 15.10 etc.
>
> Personally, I will wait for 16.04.1 which will be the official upgrade
> from 14.04, and has less chance of breaking the upgrade process.
>
> Phil

>>> It seems that 16.04 is not marked LTS (This machine is meant to be
>>> LTS-only)- 16.04.01 will be apparently
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>> According to http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/ it IS an LTS. What makes you
>> think you need to wait until 16.04.01?

I'm with Martin here, why bother waiting for a point release? Don't be
too cautious - I upgrade non-rolling releases from one version to the
next usually the moment they come out. Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, Debian,
Slack, whatever: make sure you're backed up, change your download
sources as appropriate and hit go. 99% of the time it works perfectly.
For many years I ran my own mail server at home and it iterated through
every version of Fedora Core from 1 to 12, upgraded every 6 months like
clockwork.

Saying that, I can understand being a bit recalcitrant with your
only/main computer to be fair. I stopped messing with my main
workstation at Ubuntu 14.04 and it's still stuck there until I get time
to do a 16.04 install, and that's going to have to be a painstaking
fresh install and migration of data. After over two years of the sort of
punishment I give it this system is hanging on for dear life now...

Cheers