Re: [LUG] Xubuntu 16.04

On 26/05/16 11:16, Tom wrote:
> On 28/04/16 14:43, Anthony Williams wrote:
>> On 28/04/16 14:22, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Apparently there will not be an upgrade version ready yet, but that is
>>> ok, I plan to install as a new version on my new desktop machine.
>>
>> do-release-upgrade worked for me (from xubuntu 14.04 to 16.04)
>>
>> Anthony
>>

> I have finally decided my new laptop is OK so tried to upgrade the old
> laptop from 15.10 as above and was told 'no new release available'! It
> seems that this will not work till 16.04.01 as 04 is not considered good
> enough.
> Anyone had any problems? My only problems are getting a new install up
> to where I was on the old one. Sooooooooo many things to configure!
> Tom te tom te tom

I always avoid "do-release-upgrade" as it's not well implemented - I've
posted instructions on easy in-place upgrades for Debian/Ubuntu systems
here before if you want to search the archives. The official method will
disable all your PPAs/repos just for a start which is... lame. And
potentially system breaking.

In short:

1: Backup
2: Fully upgrade working system to latest current software.
3: apt-get clean all
4: sed -i s/wily/xenial/g /etc/apt/sources.list
5: sed -i s/wily/xenial/g /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
6: apt-get update - check for any errors
7: disable or undo wily > xenial changes for any PPAs not yet updated
8: apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
9: reboot

I'm about to do this myself - getting conservative in my old age so my
main workstation has been on Trusty for ages waiting for the new 16.04
LTS to settle down. Got a spare SSD ready to finally bite the bullet and
do the upgrade this weekend, time permitting.

Cheers