Re: [LUG] Xubuntu 16.04

On 26/05/16 17:40, mr meowski wrote:
On 26/05/16 11:16, Tom wrote:
On 28/04/16 14:43, Anthony Williams wrote:
On 28/04/16 14:22, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Apparently there will not be an upgrade version ready yet, but that is
ok, I plan to install as a new version on my new desktop machine.

do-release-upgrade worked for me (from xubuntu 14.04 to 16.04)

Anthony

I have finally decided my new laptop is OK so tried to upgrade the old
laptop from 15.10 as above and was told 'no new release available'! It
seems that this will not work till 16.04.01 as 04 is not considered good
enough.
Anyone had any problems? My only problems are getting a new install up
to where I was on the old one. Sooooooooo many things to configure!
Tom te tom te tom

I always avoid "do-release-upgrade" as it's not well implemented - I've
posted instructions on easy in-place upgrades for Debian/Ubuntu systems
here before if you want to search the archives. The official method will
disable all your PPAs/repos just for a start which is... lame. And
potentially system breaking.

In short:

1: Backup
2: Fully upgrade working system to latest current software.
3: apt-get clean all
4: sed -i s/wily/xenial/g /etc/apt/sources.list
5: sed -i s/wily/xenial/g /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*n
6: apt-get update - check for any errors
7: disable or undo wily > xenial changes for any PPAs not yet updated
8: apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
9: reboot

I'm about to do this myself - getting conservative in my old age so my
main workstation has been on Trusty for ages waiting for the new 16.04
LTS to settle down. Got a spare SSD ready to finally bite the bullet and
do the upgrade this weekend, time permitting.

Cheers

I've done a couple of dozen release-upgrades without too many problems, none for the last few years.
Tom te tom te tom