Re: [LUG] System down...

On 26/05/16 17:13, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> OK, I have the Debian 8 install disk, and have a shell in the installed
> system.
> Nosing around, home and data stuff seem fine.
>
> I think it is dying after grub, I get a boot menu and then something
> about /sbin/init
>
> And then an intended prompt which is unfamiliar and alarming.

Ok, other than the SSHD install (which is almost definitely unrelated)
have there been any other changes? Did you just do a dist-upgrade or
anything in the last day or two, or install new hardware?

Don't forget that your other best option initially is to interrupt the
GRUB menu (hold down shift during boot if it doesn't show by default)
and select the previous kernel to see if that initialises normally.

Just to be clear, what is your disk layout? I'm guessing:

sda (SSD boot drive, GRUB installed)
sda1 /boot
sda2 /
sda* probably a swap and separate /home if you have these

sdb (data drive, no GRUB?)
sdb* mounted as a data store of some kind

If you can cleanly mount all your partitions from both disks in the live
system and see all the data ok then it may well be a broken package from
an incomplete upgrade. Can you get the dmesg after a failed boot? Debian
8 uses systemd now (yikes!) so troubleshooting this might be a bit of a
pain in the proverbial.

Cheers