Re: [LUG] Dropbox Up in Usersâ Kernel [feedly]

On 26/05/16 06:03, Richard Brown wrote:
> Wow way to go Dropbox!
>
> ----
> *Dropbox Up in Usersâ Kernel*
> <https://owncloud.org/blog/dropbox-up-in-users-kernel/>
> // *ownCloud Planet* <https://owncloud.org/blog/dropbox-up-in-users-kernel/>

To be fair, this could play out one of two ways really. In principle,
filesystems *should* be in the kernel as performance tramples user space
drivers (behold the pathetic performance of the exfat and zfs FUSE modes
for example) but this is Dropbox we're talking about after all. So we'll
get either:

1 - Proprietary blob loaded in the manner of Nvidia/AMD graphics or
other firmwares - hell no.

2 - Full open source kernel module with code on github for everyone to
look at: I'd use this.

We all know full well that Dropbox will go route 1 though, which means
there is no way in hell it's touching any of my systems (and I do
actually currently use Dropbox, it's not like I particularly hate them
or anything).

Seems like another case of "good idea, terrible implementation" but I
guess I can't really judge it properly until they release something.

Cheers