Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi File Server

On 14 May 2016 at 17:18, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> and then a second drive copy everything that happens on the first one. To
> give it all a bit more power I would like to connect the two together as
> one.
> Is this possible please? Is there a better way to do this please? Any ideas
> please? What do others do please?

I have a configuration like this with my Intel NUC running btrfs. It's
pretty mad to do this. Even btrfs developers wash their hands of this
one since USB is quite nuts to begin with.

Lets not forget the Raspberry PI has terrible IO performance so it
will make a terrible file server.

When things go awsome with my Samba service on my NUC, it can hit 80
megabytes a second. I'll be amazed if you get 8 megabytes a second on
a Rpi! :)

This is what my two USB3 1TB disks look like in a raid 1 configuration:

[root@nuc ~]# btrfs fi show /dev/sdc1
Label: 'extraid1'  uuid: 5cab2a4a-e282-4931-b178-bec4c73cdf77
        Total devices 2 FS bytes used 728.44GiB
        devid    1 size 931.51GiB used 732.06GiB path /dev/sdc1
        devid    2 size 931.48GiB used 730.03GiB path /dev/sdb1