Re: [LUG] website

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Agreeing here ...

And here's another slant to it all... Just how busy is the LUG site? 3, 4 hits a day, if that? So realistically, what's the point spending a lot of time on it...

And remember when the Exeter one was drupal? I was getting hacked on a daily basies, wasn't it?

At the time the Exeter site was running DokuWiki which kept getting defaced every day as it didnt have password protection.

Here is my personal opinion on the situation, do we need to go the whole hog and recreate a whole entire site? Or is there a solution of possibly using something like Jekyll which requires no database just to have a few posts on the site hosted in a git repo somewhere?

Or alternatively have a single page about the lug, short and sweet pulling in events from a calendar somewhere such as Google Calendar?

The thing is here, who has time to maintain that site and actually devote the time to look after it and keep it well organised and tidy, I definitely don't, I did back when the WP DCLUG site got launched but things have changed.

I agree with Jay on communicating well and the site would need to be regularly updated to ensure that successful communication happens, I own my personal blog but currently that is in development and has been on the back burner for a while as it is not at the top of my list.

Again just my opinion.

Regards

Dan