Re: [LUG] Chromium Browser

On 17/08/15 21:16, mr meowski wrote:
> On 17/08/15 20:57, Kevin Lucas wrote:
>
>>> I want to be able to kill a tab without killing the browser: even
>>> getting to another window to run kill can take time when the browser has
>>> gone bonkers - generally due to me running obscure shit like gpu stuff
>>> or just some of my own code!
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>
>> For what it's worth, the only time I have process problems with Firefox
>> is when using it to view the Shop Security cams, after a few hours being
>> in a browser Tab, and then the Screensaver locks, try to get back in
>> again and All cores hit 100% for a bout 5 mims! before giving me the
>> desktop back. Killing Firefox helps but as tom says it would be nice to
>> just kill a tab.
> Well both of you may want to check out a developer build with
> electrolysis enabled for tab per process fun - hopefully that will work
> out better for you. But it honestly sounds like your problems are of
> your own making rather than Firefox, there are so many conflicting
> variables: crazy GPGPU stuff, weird and probably proprietary sec cam
> servers, X screensaver locks and loads of dodgy plugins. Seems a bit
> unfair to be constantly pointing the finger at firefox instead of all
> the other weird stuff you seem to be doing.
>
> I repeat, I've been using Firefox since it was Phoenix on every OS it
> runs on: Android, Mac, Linux, Solaris, Irix, Windows, etc, etc. I use
> tons of plugins, customise the hell out of it, frequently build my own
> nightly versions and except perhaps the shell, use it more than any
> other program. Must have spent thousands and thousands of hours clicking
> around the net in Mozilla's finest at this point... and it *never*
> breaks for me. YMMV, and it evidently does which confuses me slightly.
> Just what the hell are you people doing to it?
>
> You need to start reading your crash logs and figuring out what's really
> going on on your machines. I think I might have also spotted a pattern -
> how many of you reporting Firefox crashiness have got 'weak' computers
> that you're trying to accomplish an ambitious amount of stuff on? Show
> of hands please. For example, if I remember rightly Tom's not exactly
> rocking the latest hardware...
>
> Cheers

I not altogether sure you can put it all down to old hardware. One of my
machines has a a ASUStek M2N68-AM+ motherboard which I have kept
upgrading when I found the time and money. The mobo wasn't anything
special when it was brahnd new and it's really "down market" by todays
standards of 8 core processors and 16GB and up RAM. At present it's
being really strained having a quad core AMD Phenom 9650 and 8GB of RAM
(both are the maximum for the board). The best thing about the machine
is the 600w PSU which gives a nice, clean output (I pinched it from a
much better machine).. In all the time the machine has been in existance
it's been running FF and I can honestly say I haven't experienced any
problems except with plugins.

I would always suspect plugins. Some of them are very flaky and have FF
version compatibility issues. I do use a lot of them but those I'm not
using I keep disabled. Luckily there are so many plugins avalable that
if one proves to be dodgy there's always another available which does a
similar job.