Re: [LUG] Chromium Browser

On 17/08/15 20:57, Kevin Lucas wrote:

>> I want to be able to kill a tab without killing the browser: even
>> getting to another window to run kill can take time when the browser has
>> gone bonkers - generally due to me running obscure shit like gpu stuff
>> or just some of my own code!
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
> For what it's worth, the only time I have process problems with Firefox
> is when using it to view the Shop Security cams, after a few hours being
> in a browser Tab, and then the Screensaver locks, try to get back in
> again and All cores hit 100% for a bout 5 mims! before giving me the
> desktop back. Killing Firefox helps but as tom says it would be nice to
> just kill a tab.

Well both of you may want to check out a developer build with
electrolysis enabled for tab per process fun - hopefully that will work
out better for you. But it honestly sounds like your problems are of
your own making rather than Firefox, there are so many conflicting
variables: crazy GPGPU stuff, weird and probably proprietary sec cam
servers, X screensaver locks and loads of dodgy plugins. Seems a bit
unfair to be constantly pointing the finger at firefox instead of all
the other weird stuff you seem to be doing.

I repeat, I've been using Firefox since it was Phoenix on every OS it
runs on: Android, Mac, Linux, Solaris, Irix, Windows, etc, etc. I use
tons of plugins, customise the hell out of it, frequently build my own
nightly versions and except perhaps the shell, use it more than any
other program. Must have spent thousands and thousands of hours clicking
around the net in Mozilla's finest at this point... and it *never*
breaks for me. YMMV, and it evidently does which confuses me slightly.
Just what the hell are you people doing to it?

You need to start reading your crash logs and figuring out what's really
going on on your machines. I think I might have also spotted a pattern -
how many of you reporting Firefox crashiness have got 'weak' computers
that you're trying to accomplish an ambitious amount of stuff on? Show
of hands please. For example, if I remember rightly Tom's not exactly
rocking the latest hardware...

Cheers