Re: [LUG] Chromium Browser

On Mon, 2015-08-17 at 08:30 +0100, Tom wrote:
> On 16/08/15 19:53, mr meowski wrote:
> > On 16/08/15 16:38, Tom wrote:
> >
> >> The thing is you don't want random core allocation - the browser needs
> >> to run in a separate core from the 'tabs' so that it can respond quickly
> >> to the user - if its in the same core as a looping process it can take a
> >> long time to respond to killing the damn thing.
> >> Tom te tom te tom
> >
> > kill -9 `pidof firefox`
> >
> > Seriously, what are you weirdoes doing to firefox to make so many bad
> > things happen? I use it exclusively as my main browser on every computer
> > I touch, every single day (win/mac/linux/bsd). I can't remember the last
> > time it crashed or hung or misbehaved in any way and I frequently
> > compile and use the bleeding edge nightly versions too. Heavy user, 70+
> > tabs open, lots of plugins and extensions. No issues. At all. It doesn't
> > use too much memory either, it's called caching!
> >
> > People bang on all the time about Chrome's tab per process but fear not,
> > Firefox has that too: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis
> >
> > Ok, so it's not in the standard builds yet but it soon will be. This is
> > just my personal opinion but it seems to be pretty obvious that Firefox
> > is the only decent browser left. Chrome is built by the corporate
> > overlords :/
> >
> > I do also quite like vivaldi which is a weird kind of off-shoot from opera.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> I want to be able to kill a tab without killing the browser: even
> getting to another window to run kill can take time when the browser has
> gone bonkers - generally due to me running obscure shit like gpu stuff
> or just some of my own code!
> Tom te tom te tom

For what it's worth, the only time I have process problems with Firefox
is when using it to view the Shop Security cams, after a few hours being
in a browser Tab, and then the Screensaver locks, try to get back in
again and All cores hit 100% for a bout 5 mims! before giving me the
desktop back. Killing Firefox helps but as tom says it would be nice to
just kill a tab.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)