Re: [LUG] ThinkPad X201 Docking Station

On 22/07/15 09:29, Richard Brown wrote:

> I ran both commands and also installed mpv. Playback is now no problem.
> Sound is completely gone now. There is simply a grey out sound icon in
> the top right hand column.
>
> All sound has now disappeared!

Wow, your system is really being unusually uncooperative.

Bare mpv is a bit brutal and minimalist, so unless you want to start
hacking a mpv conf manually I'd recommend either installing a frontend
to mpv like smplayer (a GUI complete with lots of configuration options,
including things like video and sound output) and/or trying vlc as well.

I seriously doubt your machine has completely lost all sound output
suddenly - you've just added to your playback options rather than
reduced them so the issue lies elsewhere. Is sound working anywhere
else? Youtube in firefox, mpg123 /path/to/*.mp3, your choice of music
application? Have you double checked the sound settings in the desktop
environment of your choice's "control panel"? Maybe the main mixer is
muted, or HDMI out is selected instead of 3.5mm jack?

Mucking around with hardcore sound settings (sorry Jay!) via alsa
scripts and whatnot is a total red herring - you'll just break things,
especially as you only just know what you're doing (sorry Richard!)
There is no way in hell a polished 2015 Linux distro like Ubuntu on
boring, incredibly well supported hardware like your x86 PC needs
horrors like that anymore. We used to have to do that 10 years ago but
now, it just means you've missed a checkbox or a volume selector somewhere.

Check everything - particularly sound output from different apps - and
report back chief. Booting a live version of an identical OS from USB
and checking sound works, and then checking what's different in terms of
settings between the working live system and your borked installation is
often instructive.

Cheers