Re: [LUG] ThinkPad X201 Docking Station

On 21/07/15 17:20, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> On 21/07/2015 09:55, bad apple wrote:
>>
>> I'm slightly surprised that people are still watching DVDs...
>
> Why?

Because they're comically obsolete? Unlike some old things which retain
value in different ways (say a PDP-11 or vinyl records) there isn't
anything really still going for DVDs - crappy resolution, limited
storage, unskippable adverts, easily scratched, low bitrate, limited
multi-channel support, region locked hardware... I could go on. You
might be better off pointing out one single reason why DVDs are not
useless and horrible!

Don't get me wrong, I still buy DVDs sometimes: pretty exclusively
limited edition anime releases that are only available in that format,
but then the DVD is ripped once to the server and then stored safely in
the loft, never to see the light of day again.

If I'm on the move and away from my network there's a 128Gb USB pendrive
in my bag with many, many hours of high quality stuff on it. There
aren't many PCs, set-top boxes, games machines or smart TVs I can't just
slot it into and start watching 1080p/4K stuff easily. Well, 4K support
is pretty limited actually but you know what I mean.

Cheers