Re: [LUG] Extending Wifi

On 18/06/15 16:40, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Can anyone advise a reasonable way to boost the signal, please. The
> house is modern, 12 years old, so we are not talking thick stone or
> brick walls here. And there is only one upstairs floor. The router is a
> netgear WNR2200.

I've got the best answer for this I think - I've already done this many,
many times for friends and clients and have the same setup running here.
We weren't getting much coverage from the crappy Virgin-supplied
"superhub" and the missus wanted proper wifi out in the back garden,
20m+ and several insulated walls away from my office.

Abuse high-power APs designed more for outdoor or P2P deployments. I've
got a few Engenius ENS200s/ENH200s pointed strategically outwards from
my PoE switch in the office and now we don't only get full bars anywhere
on the property, I can still connect to my SSIDs 50m down the road.

You won't need anything quite that dramatic - a single ENS200 or similar
and a PoE adaptor dangling from your router and angled roughly towards
your lounge will immediately solve your problem, and then some. Put it
in the correct mode and all DHCP/VLAN and other layer2 stuff will be
seamlessly passed back through to your router to handle.

If you don't mind a slightly tatty unit that's already done a few years
on site and maybe a bit scuffed with ports full of insect eggs and maybe
some spiders let me know and I'll post you one - I have literally boxes
of these to hand. It'll be fully functional but in need of a cleanup.

Cheers