[LUG] was: Adobe Acrobat for Linux? now: mea culpa

On 11/06/15 19:59, bad apple wrote:
> On 11/06/15 09:51, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>> Thanks. I use two OpenSUSE versions one 32 bit, one 64 bit. I will have
>> a look at Ubuntu.
>
> Don't bother, it's increasingly terrible these days.

Ok, time to 'fess up - my 14.04 LTS install has been tearing itself to
pieces for a week or so and it's been making me very, very angry. First
gnome-shell started randomly crashing out and restarting so borked that
a complete logout or reboot was required to get it functioning again...
sometimes only for a few minutes. So I switched to cinnamon, and then
XFCE and finally awesome which proved to be the only DE that didn't
randomly fall over, probably because it's so basic. I purged PPAs,
switched to a stock kernel instead of my custom builds, switched from
xorg-edgers to stock nvidia, then nouveau, and tweaked, debugged and
banged my head against the table on/off for days.

Nothing I did made any difference and I built up quite a lot of hate for
Ubuntu very rapidly. Even my custom kernel builds were inexplicably
bombing out on the same basic filesystem module - the hunt for a new
distro began in earnest, long overdue.

I was just going to rebuild my entire system today, probably with Arch,
but I thought I'd have one last go at fixing the damn thing. Attaching
strace to gnome-session (no idea why I didn't do this on day 1 but hey
ho) immediately flagged a whole bunch of bizarre libc errors and further
checking was instructive:

ghost@failbot:~$ zcat /var/log/kern.log.*.gz  | grep segfault | grep
libc | wc -l
41

What the hell? Lots more checking and reading of bugzilla later, I got
bored and just went with:

sudo apt-get install libc6 --reinstall

And now everything is back to normal. No more weird crashing or cairo
segfaults, no broken .xsession and my first kernel rebuild for 10 days
went perfectly.

ghost@failbot:~$ uname -r
4.0-pf6-meowski+

~10 days of rage just because of a - somehow - corrupted libc6
installation. Slightly embarrassed I didn't pick up on it earlier but
also slightly happy I can at least temporarily put off a complete
workstation rebuild. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not very happy with
the state of Ubuntu these days *and* I'm still blaming them for my
corrupt libc install as well but to be fair, I have to recant at least
some of my criticisms now I've fixed that weird problem.

I no longer recommend Ubuntu or even Mint to newbies.
I no longer use Ubuntu as my go-to default install
I no longer care about Ubuntu developments or releases
I no longer target Ubuntu for any of my custom builds

But I have to at least admit it's not fundamentally broken and
worthless, which is what I  have been telling anyone for the last week
or two, including this list. It's only fair that I report back, admit at
least part of it was my fault for not spotting a relatively obvious
problem quicker and stop slagging off Ubuntu, at least for the moment
until it does something else to annoy me.

Cheers

* still looking at Arch though. Or maybe go old-school purist and revert
to Slackware...