Re: [LUG] Adobe Acrobat for Linux?

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 19:59:19 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > have a look at Ubuntu.
>
> Don't bother, it's increasingly terrible these days.
>
> Especially if you're coming from the RPM ecosystem of SUSE anyway,
> Fedora might be a better choice (yum and now dnf are much, much nicer
> than zypper). Overall Fedora probably isn't different enough from SUSE
> to be worth you investing time in investigating the switch - Arch or
> even something like Void however might well be.
>
> The first free day I get is going to be dedicated to wiping Ubuntu,
> which has been my usual main OS on/off - mostly on - since Dapper from
> my workstation and switching to any Linux distro that sucks less. So
> basically, anything. And that's even though a lot of my custom build
> stuff, scripting and personal tweaking is all extensively geared
> around the Ubuntu platform and will need plenty of work to move
> across: it will be totally worth it.
>
> I'd love to stick with an apt-based Linux if possible, but Debian is
> now also systemd-laden and the packages are hopelessly out-of-date
> unless you run Sid, which I have done many times before and really
> liked until it inevitably broke catastrophically. Not a fit for my
> main workstation sadly.
>
> Realistically, I think it'll probably be Arch replacing it when push
> comes to shove.
>
> Cheers

Interesting. I started using Linux many years ago with some RPM
systems, mainly Mandrake/Mandriva and Suse. Then I moved over to KDE
and I have been with an apt-get system since. Nowadays I use Xubuntu,
mainly because I like Xfce.

Please let us know how it all goes and which distro you finally end up
with. I have had Arch suggested to me on several occasions, but it
looks like a lot of work. At the moment I have just the one laptop
myself, although I look after laptops for my wife and my daughter, also
set up  with Xfce. So it wouldn't be as much work as you seem to be
facing.

Thanks

Neil