Re: [LUG] query. Home "NAS" Help please.

On 14/03/15 22:57, bad apple wrote:
>  No data recovered via Knoppix. No 'handshake' with GParted in or out of
>> case when stripped. Disc rotated.

Sounds like a physical write-off then. Have you taken encase or testdisk
to it yet? I understand entirely when you say you have a soft spot for
Knoppix but I don't know anyone who'd recommend it for anything these
days when you have countless task-specific distros available like:

kali
grml
systemrescuecd
gparted live
tinycore

If you physically attach the disk from the failed WD (what a surprise)
to your system and completely nuke it in fdisk, can you use it again?
It's entirely possible/probable that the crappy WD firmware totalled the
USB > SATA interface and the disk itself is entirely usable.

sudo apt-get install smartmontools
sudo smartctl -d sat -H -i -c -A -l error -l selftest -l selective
'/dev/sdX'

Cheers

Sat Mar 14 23:44:02 GMT 2015