Re: [LUG] Which FreeNas ?

On 10/03/15 20:37, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I've had good results using boxes from http://www.xcase.co.uk/ but if
> you want to run Linux applications on the server, then you'll need to
> install Linux and not FreeNAS.
>
> You may want to look at: http://www.openmediavault.org/ if you want a
> FreeNAS type of system running Linux.
>
> Or just install Linux and DIY it. You might not get good ZFS though - I
> don't know what the state of the art of ZFS is with standard Linux
> distros right now is.

The BSDs have long had an ABI compatibility layer allowing them to run
many Linux ELF binaries unmodified actually - it doesn't necessarily
work particularly well in many cases but you can definitely run Linux
applications on BSD.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/linuxemu.html

ZFS is pretty much production ready on Linux now, although I wouldn't
build anything really important on it quite yet: FreeBSD (FreeNAS also
counts here) or one of the Solaris/Illumos derivatives is a stronger
choice for really bullet-proof ZFS.

http://zfsonlinux.org/

Cheers