Re: [LUG] Which FreeNas ?

Gordon found your response enlightening and helpful am grateful.Â
I may consider looking the Linux compatibility layer for FreeBSD.Â
Although would prefer Linux and self configure, as really looking to offer SMB and AFP data in an office so was looking at Netatalk on Linux for AFP.Â

Found this page highlighting the Linux - FreeBSD differences.Â
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html

The Hardware links you supplied me with were excellent too thanks.Â

Matt

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/03/15 20:37, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I've had good results using boxes from http://www.xcase.co.uk/ but if
> you want to run Linux applications on the server, then you'll need to
> install Linux and not FreeNAS.
>
> You may want to look at: http://www.openmediavault.org/ if you want a
> FreeNAS type of system running Linux.
>
> Or just install Linux and DIY it. You might not get good ZFS though - I
> don't know what the state of the art of ZFS is with standard Linux
> distros right now is.

The BSDs have long had an ABI compatibility layer allowing them to run
many Linux ELF binaries unmodified actually - it doesn't necessarily
work particularly well in many cases but you can definitely run Linux
applications on BSD.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/linuxemu.html

ZFS is pretty much production ready on Linux now, although I wouldn't
build anything really important on it quite yet: FreeBSD (FreeNAS also
counts here) or one of the Solaris/Illumos derivatives is a stronger
choice for really bullet-proof ZFS.

http://zfsonlinux.org/

Cheers