Re: [LUG] Which FreeNas ?

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015, Matt Stevenson wrote:

Hi

Iʼm looking for a number of storage chassis options on linux for up to 4 TB
small business 10-20 users, image files. Looking for fast reliable access
with backup. We have been on Synology for a while and looking to upgrade
onto a more professional appliance. That said I also am keen on building a
chassis with a linux distribution and running FreeNas.

FreeNAS isn't Linux, it's FreeBSD.

So far am looking for a 1-2U chassis with 4 SSD disks and 2 - 4 port
Ethernet for teaming. We are scaling from a desktop edition synology and
seeing the opportunity to run some other linux services on the box.

Found various website with Kit lists e.g.
https://b3n.org/supermicro-2u-zfs-server-build/

Can anyone recommend good suppliers in the uk for host storage chassis and
disks for this kind of appliance, is there positive feedback for setting up
FreeNas ?

I've had good results using boxes from http://www.xcase.co.uk/ but if you want to run Linux applications on the server, then you'll need to install Linux and not FreeNAS.

You may want to look at: http://www.openmediavault.org/ if you want a FreeNAS type of system running Linux.

Or just install Linux and DIY it. You might not get good ZFS though - I don't know what the state of the art of ZFS is with standard Linux distros right now is.

Gordon