Re: [LUG] Request mailman configuration change;

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 08:50:39 +0000 (GMT), Gordon Henderson
<gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Feb 2015, Kevin Peat wrote:
>
>> On 2 February 2015 08:18:37 GMT+00:00, Gordon Henderson
>> <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> it is

>>> More likely Compuserve, AOL and a few others. Microsoft initially
>>> ignored
>>> the Internet, then tried to do their own, then tried their extend,
>>> embrace, extinguish tactic... They almost won that one.
>>>

>> Not so sure. Our kids wanted to get online originally for MS
>> Messenger and I don't suppose they were the only ones.
>
>MS Messenger is only 15 year old - c2000. AOL (as an internet service)
>predates that by almost 10 years although it was providing online
>dial-up services since 1983.
>
>Compuserve started in the 80's too.
>
>General dial-up internet was avalable in the UK in the early 90's with
>Demon (as it was then) blazing the trail. I think AOL was initially a
>walled garden of sorts, but allowed email exchange with externals, but
>there you go.
>
>I used Prestel (aka Micronet 800) in the 80's. Expen$ive it was ...

Yes, I know that, I started on Compuserve but it's only more recently
that "hundreds of millions" of people have come online. Compuserve only
had 3 million users at its peak in 1995 and most people today haven't
even heard of it. Compuserve was already on the downslope when Internet
usage started to pick-up:

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2013/04/25/the-digital-divide-persists-1-in-5-americans-not-online/

Kids today get online for Facebook/Snapchat/WhatsApp/etc. but 15 years
ago when the numbers started to ramp up it was MS Messenger/ICQ/etc.

Kevin